Deadly Little Secret (Touch #1) - Review

Deadly Little Secret (Touch, #1)Deadly Little Secret (Touch #1) by Laurie Faria Stolarz

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

3.5 Stars

I did enjoy the premise of Deadly Little Secret. I liked most of the writing and the main character, Camelia.

It is mostly a dialogue-driven story, which leaves the characters under-developed. I did not get to know Camelia all that well, even though she narrates, since not much goes on in her head aside from describing what she is doing and seeing. She does play the victim very well, even appearing quite dumb at times. Ben is intriguing and mysterious, but again, he is very underdeveloped. I need to know more than how great looking he is.

Camelia's 2 best friends are both miserable at home, so they have plenty of get-togethers where they all discuss how messed up their lives are. But these are 2 characters that seem to be there more to support Camelia in her time of need. Yet, oddly enough, Camelia doesn't return the favor.

I can't say that I know why Camelia liked Ben in the first place. He pushed her out of the way of an approaching car (sound familiar?) and she became obsessed with finding out why he saved her and then disappeared. I also don't know why Ben liked her. Ben was stand-offish and avoided direct contact with Camelia (sound familiar?) until they were assigned as lab partners in chemistry class... yes, another similarity to Twilight. But then Ben sensed that Camelia was in danger so they started spending time together.

The suspense was drawn out and the pacing was pretty good. There was also plenty of tense and slightly scary moments. It's a very quick read, easy to understand and follow.


View all my reviews

3 comments:

  1. I've read this book and I actually really enjoyed it. Though I can understand your points, about the characters and whatnot. I hope you plan on reading the other books in the series, they're pretty good!
    Happy New Yea! :

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read Twilight so I wouldn't know of any similarities. Does Ben turn out to be a vampire? If not, I might read this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, not a vampire. The similarities come from the very beginning of the book. The girl almost gets ran over by a car, but the boy saves her. He is very mysterious, so of course she is overly obsessed with him. Then they are assigned as partners in chemistry class. That is where the similarity ends.

    This series isn't bad, it's very basic storytelling. What I call a quick and easy read.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting and commenting. I hope you have a wonderful day.