Review: Dangerous Boy by Mandy Hubbard

Dangerous BoyDangerous Boy by Mandy Hubbard

Publication Date: September 4, 2012
Page Count: 262 pages
Format: Hardcover
Published by: Razorbill
Source: Borrowed From Library

Purchase from The Book Depository

Synopsis From Goodreads:

A modern-day retelling of The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde with a chilling twist

Harper has never been worried about falling in love, something she is skeptical even exists. But everything changes when Logan moves to town, and to Harper's shock, the two tumble into an intense romance. It's everything she never thought she wanted.

Then she meets Logan's twin brother, Caleb, who was expelled from his last school. True, he's a bad boy, but Harper can't shake the feeling that there's something deeply sinister about him--something dangerous. When Logan starts pulling away, Harper is convinced that Caleb's shadowy past is the wedge being driven between them. But by the time she uncovers the truth, it may be too late.

My Thoughts:

I had mostly forgotten the tale of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, so I had no expectations going into reading Dangerous Boy. I found it to be a quick read and very enjoyable, though not completely believable.

The protagonist, Harper, is not a strong character, and at first I didn't really care for her. She is a big scaredy cat and is afraid to take any risk at all. The irrational fears that she has stems from her mother's death, and is not directly related to anything that occurred to Harper. I found this to be not only annoying, but it almost makes Harper unlikable. She goes through a lot of turmoil during the story, and I liked that she comes out stronger because of it.

As for Logan, we don't get to learn much about him. It is easy to tell from the beginning that something is really off about him. On the surface he appears to be a nice and caring boyfriend, so it is understandable why Harper trusted him so much. But there are some subtle (and some not so subtle) hints that things are not as they seem.

Weird and unexplainable things begin to happen in Harper and Logan's small town. This is when the story gets ominous and full of suspense. The action and intrigue picks up and the reader can really feel the dangerous and dark atmosphere. Even though there were times when I was scared, I couldn't stop reading because I just had to find out what was going on!

I would have preferred if the characters and plot had been better developed and had more depth. I enjoyed the build up to the climax, which is full of suspense, and I found the final reveal to be almost shocking. I certainly was not expecting the outcome, and I was not disappointed with the ending. Dangerous Boy is a quick and easy read and is perfect for fall reading, or anytime you are in the mood for a really creepy and mysterious story.

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

1 comment:

  1. A modern day retelling of Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde certainly sounds interesting. Wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting and commenting. I hope you have a wonderful day.