Review: Welcome, Caller, This Is Chloe by Shelley Coriell

Welcome, Caller, This Is ChloeWelcome, Caller, This Is Chloe by Shelley Coriell

Publication Date: May 1, 2012
Page Count: 299
Format: Hardcover
Published by: Amulet Books
Source: Borrowed from library

Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

Synopsis From Goodreads:
Big-hearted Chloe Camden is the queen of her universe until her best friend shreds her reputation and her school counselor axes her junior independent study project. Chloe is forced to take on a meaningful project in order to pass, and so she joins her school’s struggling radio station, where the other students don’t find her too queenly. Ostracized by her former BFs and struggling with her beloved Grams’s mental deterioration, lonely Chloe ends up hosting a call-in show that gets the station much-needed publicity and, in the end, trouble. She also befriends radio techie and loner Duncan Moore, a quiet soul with a romantic heart. On and off the air, Chloe faces her loneliness and helps others find the fun and joy in everyday life. Readers will fall in love with Chloe as she falls in love with the radio station and the misfits who call it home.


Photobucket

I must admit that I didn't enjoy this book as much as I thought I would. The protagonist, Chloe, has a very big personality, and an even bigger love for vintage shoes (which I found odd). I really wanted to like Chloe, but she was quite annoying at times. She was too self-centered, which I wasn't fond of, and she wasn't easy for me to relate to. She did have a very big heart and mostly good intentions, though, so that was a plus.

The secondary characters were interesting, but the author didn't explore them very much, and they seemed to be stereotypes more than anything else. They were described very well, but I thought they could have had more depth. I really liked Chloe's love interest, Duncan. Unfortunately, he was just another character that was lacking the time and effort to make him compelling. I really would have liked to spend more time with him and get to know him better.

Chloe is assigned to work at the school's radio station. She is an outsider there, but she quickly takes charge and tries to find a place to fit in. Chloe's big personality really shines during her on-air programs. I did enjoy reading about all that goes into running a radio station and Chloe's experiences while working there.

I really enjoyed the story and I thought the premise was interesting. The writing was very good, if a bit slow at times. There were a few serious issues in this book, but they were dealt with lightly and didn't have much of an impact on me. While not perfect, I think Welcome, Caller, This Is Chloe was a very enjoyable book. It was easy to read, funny and lighthearted, and it left me with a good feeling.

My rating: 3 of 5 stars
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting and commenting. I hope you have a wonderful day.