Review: Taken by Erin Bowman

Taken (Taken, #1)Taken (Taken #1) by Erin Bowman

Publication Date: April 16, 2013
Page Count: 352
Format: ebook
Published by: Harper Teen
Source: eARC provided by publisher

Synopsis From Goodreads:

There are no men in Claysoot. There are boys—but every one of them vanishes at midnight on his eighteenth birthday. The ground shakes, the wind howls, a blinding light descends…and he’s gone.

They call it the Heist.

Gray Weathersby’s eighteenth birthday is mere months away, and he’s prepared to meet his fate–until he finds a strange note from his mother and starts to question everything he’s been raised to accept: the Council leaders and their obvious secrets. The Heist itself. And what lies beyond the Wall that surrounds Claysoot–a structure that no one can cross and survive.

Climbing the Wall is suicide, but what comes after the Heist could be worse. Should he sit back and wait to be taken–or risk everything on the hope of the other side?

 photo picadillypink.png
Dystopians are not my first choice in reading material. I'd much rather read a nice contemporary. However, I knew I HAD to read Taken as soon as I saw the synopsis. I was immediately intrigued by the mystery surrounding the heists and I was eager to read it. I was not disappointed! It was SO good! This story really had it all - mystery, action, adventure, and romance!

I thought Gray was a terrific protagonist. I liked him immediately, and I enjoyed reading the story through his eyes. He was definitely strong-willed and a bit impulsive, which led him into more than a few dicey situations. Yet, somehow, he always managed to retain his outwardly calm demeanor in the most dire circumstances, and I liked that about him. I also really loved his loyalty, even if it was misguided at times. He was quick to take sides, even when he wasn't sure if it was right or wrong, and slow to forgive. I hope his character stays true as the series continues, because I sincerely like him. (Gray really reminds me of Robin Hood with his primitive upbringing and the way he always wanted to do the right thing. I loved his bravery, honesty, and the way he stuck by his beliefs.)

What I liked the most about reading Taken was discovering the details surrounding the wall and the heist along with Gray. As the mystery unfolds and more and more details emerge, you start to realize that everything is not what it seems. The story takes so many twists and turns that you never know what is going to happen next.

I thought the writing was spectacular. The author managed to convey not just the scenery, but the overall feeling and mood of Claysoot and what lay beyond The Wall.

Overall, Taken was a book that I enjoyed tremendously, and I highly recommend it. There was a ton of action, and quite a few plot twists that kept the story interesting. I thought the pacing was perfect, the characters were well developed and felt realistic, and the story was fresh and intriguing. I love where this story is heading, and I can't wait to read the next book in this series!

My rating: 5 of 5 stars
 photo pink5.png

2013 Debut Author Challenge

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you liked it!! Many of the reviews I've read haven't been that great. It's refreshing to read someone really enjoyed this one. I have more hope for it now :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting and commenting. I hope you have a wonderful day.