Review: All I Need by Susane Colasanti

All I NeedAll I Need by Susane Colasanti

Publication Date: May 21, 2013
Page Count: 240
Published by: Viking Juvenile
Source: Library

Synopsis From Goodreads:

The last night of summer is only the beginning.

Skye wants to meet the boy who will change her life forever. Seth feels their instant connection the second he sees her. When Seth starts talking to Skye at the last beach party of the summer, it’s obvious to both of them that this is something real. But when Seth leaves for college before they exchange contact info, Skye wonders if he felt the same way she did—and if she will ever see him again. Even if they find their way back to each other, can they make a long-distance relationship work despite trust issues, ex drama, and some serious background differences?

Teen favorite Susane Colasanti returns to the alternating-voice style of her beloved debut When It Happens in this Serendipity-inspired story about summer, soul mates, and the moments that change our lives forever.

 photo picadillypink.png

I love reading contemporary novels, and Susane Colasanti writes some of the best. All I Need was a very quick read that was told in alternating POVs, which I always love. It was super cute and would be wonderful to read when you are looking for a light and sweet romance. Perfect for a summer day at the pool or the beach.

Skye and Seth meet at an end of summer beach party while they both are on vacation. They have an instant attraction to each other and really feel a strong connection. Skye really believed in the idea of true love and soulmates. So the first guy that comes along who she feels a connection with, she jumps to the conclusion that they are soulmates, even though they have only known each other for 2 days. I would have preferred to see their relationship develop more before deciding they were perfect for each other and destined to be together forever.

Seth was getting over a bad breakup and didn't really believe in true love when he met Skye. I liked Seth and I enjoyed reading about his first year at college. I was happy to learn that Seth has an emotional outlet in his art, and I enjoyed knowing that he was passionate about it enough to want to change his future to pursue his dreams. He was a really sweet guy and I liked him a lot.

As mush as I enjoyed Skye and Seth, I wish their characters had been more fleshed out. The storyline jumps forward in time too often to get a good feel for the characters, and I didn't get to know them as well as I would have liked.

I did enjoy the writing, and I thought the plot was pretty straightforward, but there wasn't a lot of action. This is mainly a story about the struggles that come with growing up and trying to have a long distance relationship with that one special person. The protagonists were young and inexperienced, and at different places in their lives, but I still wanted their relationship to work.

If you can get over the insta-like, and if you believe that one moment in time can really change everything, then you may find All I Need to be a really sweet story. It had a lot of cute and funny moments that I really enjoyed. While not my favorite of Susane Colasanti’s books - it’s still one I would recommend to anyone looking for a light, contemporary YA romance.

My rating: 3 of 5 stars
 photo pink3.png

Stand Alone Reading Challenge
Contemporary Reading Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting and commenting. I hope you have a wonderful day.