The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight - Review

The Statistical Probability of Love at First SightThe Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Perhaps my expectations were too high after reading so many glowing 5 star reviews. I thought this book was just okay. It just really wasn't all that for me. I wanted to love it. I tried to at least really like it. I don't know, but maybe I am so far removed from being a teenager that it didn't do anything for me.

It was a 'nice' read and a short book at well under 300 pages, but it seemed to go on and on. Some of it was so boring! Since this book takes place in the span of 24 hours I expected it to be fast paced. That was not the case. The writing was slow moving, and despite the title, there was no 'love' at first sight. How disappointing.

The story follows Hadley as she misses her flight to London for her dad's wedding. Hadley meets a cute English boy named Oliver and they end up sitting together on the plane.

I really feel that this would have been a much more compelling read if the author had devoted more time on the two main characters together in real time. I felt disconnected from them as a potential couple when most of their initial time spent together was told in flashback form. And this story is told in third person so it lacks any personal connection to the characters. A love/romance story should be told in first person so the reader can experience the feelings and emotions.

It's not a bad book. The writing is good. It's romantic fluff with a little drama thrown in. I guess it all depends on what you really enjoy in a book. For me, I like characters that are more developed. While I did not feel that Hadley and Oliver had a deep romantic connection, I do think their friendship was heartwarming and promising.



View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed this book! I agree with your review! It was really cute book! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm so sad that you didn't like it as much as others :( I was one of those glowing 5 star reviews for it lol, but I ended up really loving it. Sometimes I think that's a problem with getting such good reviews, is the book gets built up too much. But I'm glad you liked it overall!

    Brenna from Esther's Ever After

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting and commenting. I hope you have a wonderful day.