Review: Spell Bound (Hex Hall #3) by Rachel Hawkins

Spell Bound (Hex Hall, #3)Spell Bound by Rachel Hawkins
Publication Date: March 13, 2012
Page Count: 327 pages
Format: Hardback
Published by: Hyperion Book CH
Source: Borrowed From Library
Challenge: September is for Sequels

Synopsis From Goodreads:

Hailed as “impossible to put down,” the Hex Hall series has both critics and teens cheering. With a winning combination of romance, action, magic and humor, this third volume will leave readers enchanted.

Just as Sophie Mercer has come to accept her extraordinary magical powers as a demon, the Prodigium Council strips them away. Now Sophie is defenseless, alone, and at the mercy of her sworn enemies—the Brannicks, a family of warrior women who hunt down the Prodigium. Or at least that’s what Sophie thinks, until she makes a surprising discovery. The Brannicks know an epic war is coming, and they believe Sophie is the only one powerful enough to stop the world from ending. But without her magic, Sophie isn’t as confident.

Sophie’s bound for one hell of a ride—can she get her powers back before it’s too late?

My Thoughts:

How sad am I that the Hex Hall series has concluded? Very. Yes, I know there will be a Spin Off series, but it's just not the same.Spell Bound is the third and final book in the Hex Hall series. Unfortunately, I didn't think it was the best book in the series, but it was still a good read.

The Hex Hall series is full of wonderful and imaginative creatures and kick-ass characters. The world is both scary and magical - entertaining is putting it mildly. I really grew to like the characters while reading Hex Hall. Reading Demon Glass made me fall in love, more with some characters than others, but still. In Spell Bound, both old and new characters all come together to help Sophie stop the demon-raising Casnoffs.

Sophie is so full of snark and humor, especially at the most inappropriate moments. While I have enjoyed this aspect of Sophie, there were quite a few times that her snark and attitude fell a little flat and didn't work in that particular situation. At least Sophie has a good amount of fear of her own powers and the whole supernatural world, and displays some common sense when dealing with life or death situations. That's always a plus. Jenna is still being a wonderful best friend, and is a great sidekick for Sophie. Archer, still arrogant and sexy, has the doting boyfriend act down pat. I enjoyed learning more about his background. And Cal was just, oh so very... I want him for my own. There. I said it. But I have to ask you Cal - why? WHY? why why why why sniffle

While I thoroughly enjoyed reading Spell Bound, I felt it lacked the quality of the first 2 books. The ending was never in doubt, since we knew the good guys would come out on top, but it didn't leave me satisfied. I didn't like the resolution of the Sophie/Archer/Cal love triangle. I'll just leave it at that. I felt the final battle was too short - I wanted to read more action! I definitely recommend reading Spell Bound if you have read the first 2 books in the series. Or go ahead and read the entire series, because it really is very good and different.

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

1 comment:

  1. Guuuh I hate it so much that the publisher in my country hasn't done translating this book. The ending of Demonglass was so frustrating and I really can't wait to read the last book. So, I envy you. hehe..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting and commenting. I hope you have a wonderful day.