Movie Review: If I Stay


Title: If I Stay
Starring: Chloë Grace Moretz and Jamie Blackley
Release Date: August 22, 2014
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Runtime: 1 hour 47 minutes

Tagline: Live for Love

Storyline:

Mia Hall thought the hardest decision she would ever face would be whether to pursue her musical dreams at Juilliard or follow a different path to be with the love of her life, Adam. But what should have been a carefree family drive changes everything in an instant, and now her own life hangs in the balance. Caught between life and death for one revealing day, Mia has only one decision left, which will not only decide her future but her ultimate fate.

The Good:

Hmmm... I liked seeing Adam and Mia together. While I do like Mia, and especially enjoy Adam, I like the book versions better than I did the movie versions. Okay, so that's not particularly good, but that's all I've got, so...

The Bad:

I didn't enjoy watching this movie very much. I thought it was just okay. Maybe it was just me, but I thought it was boring and drawn out. And I absolutely hated how they portrayed Adam as being so selfish and self centered. I don't remember him being that way in the book, but maybe my memory is failing me. I also didn't think Chloë Grace Moretz and Jamie Blackley fit the roles of Mia and Adam. Totally not what I was expecting. Oh, I almost forgot my big WTF. Why was Mia wearing a summer dress on a snow day? This was very distracting to me throughout the movie.

The Ugly Cry:

Surprisingly, I didn't cry. I thought for sure that I would, and there was a singular moment that my eyes welled up, but the tears failed to fall from my eyes. While it did have emotional moments, I knew they were coming since I read the book. I don't know if my knowledge of the book lessened the emotional impact on me, or if it was the long, slow, and drawn out movie that sucked my tears up.

If this were a book:
This is a book, and one that I have read a few times over the years, and I really like it. I actually prefer reading Where She Went more, but maybe that's just me.

Final Thoughts:

I've owned this movie since last Christmas (I think) and I put off watching it because I was worried I would get emotional and cry. I should have just watched it sooner because it didn't impact me at all. I'll have to watch it again sometime just to see if I enjoy it more.

Overall, this was just an okay movie. The book is much better. Where She Went is SO much better, and Adam is amazingly awesome in it. And I don't care if Gayle Forman never intended on writing a sequel to If I Stay. She gave the fans what they wanted and now what? She decides she only wants to write Adult books? Whatever.


*Movie Reviews inspired by Chick Lit Fridays at Pinkindle Reads & Reviews.*

4 comments:

  1. Oh so I'm not the only one who found it boring, yassss!!!! :D

    Haven't read the book though, I hope it's better than the movie was.

    Ella
    Naga Sanctuary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find books are always more enjoyable than the movies. Adaptations can never include all the small things that make books special. In this case, the book is much better than the movie. I really love Adam in the book sequel, Where She Went. You should definitely read both.

      Delete
  2. I didn't see this movie, but I loved the book. I wish they would make a movie of Where She Went!!

    Kate @ Ex Libris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I would love a movie of Where She Went, but not with the same actors. They could never pull it off.

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting and commenting. I hope you have a wonderful day.