Review: Wild Crush (Wild Cards #2) by Simone Elkeles

Wild Crush (Wild Cards, #2)Wild Crush (Wild Cards #2) by Simone Elkeles

Publication Date: September 22, 2015
Page Count: 240
Published by: NLA Digital LLC
Source: Library ebook via Overdrive

Synopsis from Goodreads:

When the only girl you want is the one you can't have...

Bad boy Vic Salazar breaks all the rules except one: Don't make a move on your best friend's girl. It’s a Guy Code that Vic lives by. It doesn't matter that he's had a crush on her for years. Monika Fox is off limits.

Monika has a secret of her own and when a tragedy throws her and Vic together, the only boy she trusts is the one she shouldn’t confide in. Vic.

As Vic struggles to keep his distance, and Monika struggles with her secrets, will their wild connection violate every rule both vowed never to break—about relationships, about friendship, about love?

 photo MyThoughtsBanner2_zps1bk1ovpj.png

This book was a long time coming. I was beginning to doubt that it would be released, but it seems the author is now self-published, so... it's here finally, and without much fanfare. When I first came on the YA book blogging scene, Elkeles was all the rage with her Perfect Chemistry, How To Ruin, and Leaving Paradise series. After reading 2 of those series, of course I was interested in reading the Wild Cards series. But so far both books have lacked the oomph that her previous books did. Maybe that's just me. I don't know.

The Good:

Alex (from Perfect Chemistry ) makes a very brief appearance, so YAY!
There was a bit more 'football' in this book than in Wild Cards. (My only disappointment with the football aspect came when the author described something that happened 'in the third period.' Ugh.)
If you enjoyed her Perfect Chemistry series, you'll probably enjoy Wild Crush.

The Bad:

90% of the story was drama and angst, the last 10% was rushed, and the resolution really didn't satisfy me.
The romance came at the very end of the book, and for me it was too little too late.
I really didn't connect with either character, so it was hard to feel anything for them.

Final Thoughts:

Overall, I was a bit disappointed with Wild Crush. I do enjoy Elkeles' writing, so I'll keep on reading this series if she keeps releasing them. I'm also looking forward to reading the fourth book in the Perfect Chemistry series - if she ever publishes it!

 photo 3 star WfW_zpsgrskuj2d.png
3 of 5 stars

2 comments:

  1. Agh, I think if this book had released a year ago I would have been more interested in reading it but it's been too long :/ I never read more than 1 book in the Perfect Chemistry series and although I enjoyed Wild Cards it wasn't my favourite. I hope you enjoy the rest of her books!

    Zareena @ The Slanted Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was a little long between releases, but I think that had to do with getting it published.

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting and commenting. I hope you have a wonderful day.