Review: Wild Swans by Jessica Spotswood

Wild SwansWild Swans by Jessica Spotswood

Publication Date: May 3, 2016
Page Count: 304
Published by: Sourcebooks Fire
Source: eArc from Publisher for review

Synopsis from Goodreads:

The summer before Ivy's senior year is going to be golden-all bonfires, barbeques, and spending time with her best friends. For once, she will just get to be. No summer classes, none of Granddad's intense expectations to live up to the family name. For generations, the Milbourn women have lead extraordinary lives-and died young and tragically. Granddad calls it a legacy, but Ivy considers it a curse. Why else would her mother have run off and abandoned her as a child?

But when her mother unexpectedly returns home with two young daughters in tow, all of the stories Ivy wove to protect her heart start to unravel. The very people she once trusted now speak in lies. And all of Ivy's ambition and determination cannot defend her against the secrets of the Milbourn past...

 photo MyThoughtsBanner2_zps1bk1ovpj.png

Wild Swans was a lovely contemporary that was beautifully written. I'm still thinking about how this book made me feel.

The protagonist, Ivy, was likable and relatable. She's had a great life (or believes she's had a great life) being raised by her grandfather. Growing up with the expectations of a small town, she's always tried to live up to her family name. Her quiet life is turned upside down when her mother comes home for the first time in 15 years with 2 younger sisters that she never knew about. Ivy starts taking a closer look at the life she's had and starts to see the flaws. Ivy has always strived to be extraordinary and to do things to please her grandfather. Now she's feeling inadequate, and having her mother back in her life just makes everything worse. I really felt for Ivy and what she had to deal with. I just wanted her to be happy.

The supporting characters were a varied group. I liked getting to know Ivy's sisters, Grace and Isobel. Grace was cute and adorable. Isobel was a bit mean at times, but I tried to be understanding towards her and give her a chance, just like Ivy did. But I have to say that Ivy's mom was the worst mom ever. The way she treated everyone around her was terrible. Who says things like that to your own daughters? I just really wanted her to go away because things would have been so much better without her around. Ivy's best friends were awesome and supportive. One of them had a little brother who identified as a girl, and I have to say that I was very fond of him!

I loved the romance that was in Wild Swans. It wasn't the main focus of the story, but there was just enough to keep things interesting. There's also sort of a love triangle, but I really didn't mind it because 1/3 of it was one sided. Personally, I preferred Alex over Connor. Sure, Alex was a bit dramatic, moody, and possessive, but he felt real to me. Connor was just okay, and the safe choice for Ivy, but I didn't really get to know him well enough to really 'like' him.

Overall, Wild Swans was a great read. If you enjoy reading Sarah Dessen, then you should definitely put this on your tbr.

 photo 4 star WfW_zpsohgdf5sv.png
My rating: 4 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting and commenting. I hope you have a wonderful day.